In another quest to find the best of the best, we did a peanut butter cookie sandwich tasting with my entire family. The test included two peanut butter cookie recipes and two filling recipes. One cookie was brown sugar based and used shortening. The other recipe had brown sugar and white sugar, and used rolled oats. For the fillings, one was peanut butter and powdered sugar based, while the other used marshmallow creme and cinnamon.
We mix and matched the cookies with the fillings and even added raspberry jam to some. In my opinion, there was one clear winner, but the vote was actually quite split between the group. Half the group liked the brown sugar based cookie with the powdered sugar based filling. For me, that was too sweet.
The other half of the group, myself included, liked the brown sugar, white sugar and oats cookie paired with the marshmallow creme based filling. The oats and the crunchy peanut butter added nice texture, while the cookie itself was still soft in the center. And I am in love the marshmallow creme filling with cinnamon. Like, I could eat the stuff by the spoonful!
I've also made a couple other peanut butter cookie sandwich recipes in the past and would say this recipe beats those too.
Let me know what you think!
Yield: 2 dozen cookie sandwiches
For the Peanut Butter Cookies (recipe from Redbook Magazine)1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 light brown sugar, packed
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup quick cooking oats
For the Peanut Cream Filling
3/4 cup chunky peanut
3/4 cup marshmallow creme
3 tablespoons milk
3/4 teaspoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
For the Peanut Butter Cookies
1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Which together flour, baking soda, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl.
2. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat butter and chunky peanut butter until smooth. Beat in sugars until well blended. Beat in egg and vanilla.
3. With mixer on low speed, add flour mixture and mix until just blended. Stir in oats.
4. Spoon level tablespoonsful of into balls and place two inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Using a floured fork, make a crisscross pattern on top by pressing dough into a flat circle about 2.5 inches circle.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly brown around the edges. Let cool for 1 minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
For the Filling
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the peanut butter, marshmallow creme, milk, cinnamon. Gradually whisk in powdered sugar.
Use 1 teaspoon filling for each cookie.